Monday, August 31, 2009

Primary

I first served as the primary 2nd counselor to an amazing woman, moved into the 1st counselor under the same president and a few months later I was called to be the president. I have been in primary for almost 5 years. Two weeks ago I was called into the Bishop's office, where I was told I was being released as the Primary President...I cried. I tried to not show too much emotion during sharing time that day, but the children singing made it hard.

The following day, I had a knock at my door, it was a member of the ward. She stopped by to ask for some reading material for being a primary president. I was so excited to find out that she would be taking over. I invited the soon-to-be president to my home for 'training.' I sat with her and talked her through the information I had. When she left with 'my' binder I sat in tears.

Saturday night I dreamed of my final Sunday in primary. I woke up in tears. Sunday morning came as I prepared my final sharing time lesson, I cried. When the bishop announced my name over the pulpit to release me, I cried. When my counselor talked about the children and primary during her sacrament talk, I cried. When I said my goodbyes to the children, I couldn't even talk. We had the YM and YW in primary with us for a special lesson and to see them grown was an incredible feeling, they were the ones who I started out with. To have all 'my children' in one room at a time was a special feeling that I can't ever explain. To be able to tell them how much I have loved teaching them and to let them know how special they are! I couldn't help but to cry. I cried all the way home.

Primary has been such a special calling for me. I never really attended as a child so to experience it as an adult was extra wonderful. I know the bishop received guidance from the Lord and my new calling will be a challenge for sure...... The family history consultant!

1 comment:

Amy said...

When Adam got called into the bishopric was when the crying started for me because I knew I was going to be released. It was really hard and I hadn't even served in Primary for as long as you.

I also teared up on Sunday during Cherish's talk - I remembered those feelings so strongly. I thought her speaking would make things that much harder for all of you. She did a great job on her talk, and you all did a fabulous job in Primary.